Office buildings continued
Following the Second World War the Modern Movement became influential in mainstream Western Australian architecture - arriving in the State via Melbourne. The style is evident in the expansion of the Royal Perth Hospital in 1948 and was developed in many buildings constructed in the 1950s and 1960s. The Perth City Council Council House building, completed in 1962, is a fine example of this style. This was a period of new modernism with functionality with the use of new building materials more important to architects than decorative or retrospective references in their designs.
1970s and 1980s
Please note: The content on this website is made available for archival purposes and may not meet the State Library of Western Australia's current standards for web accessibility, mobile device compatibility, historical accuracy and cultural sensitivity.