Iron Ore continued
The existence of vast deposits of iron ore in the Pilbara had been described by the Government Geologist as early as 1890. The Goldsworthy deposit was identified in 1938
and extensively surveyed in the 1950s by by the Mines Department, leading to the realisation that substantial further discoveries were likely. As a result, in 1960 the State Government successfully lobbied the Commonwealth to
remove the embargo on exporting iron ore to Japan. In calling for tenders to develop the Goldsworthy deposit, the Government also invited further exploration for iron ore, which was immediately successful.
Please note: The content on this website is made available for archival purposes and may not meet the State Library of Western Australia's current standards for web accessibility, mobile device compatibility, historical accuracy and cultural sensitivity.