Throughout the twentieth century office buildings, erected mainly in Perth, have represented a number of architectural styles brought to Western Australia from Great Britain, Europe and the United States, chiefly through Melbourne. These influences were first carried to Western Australia during the gold rush of the 1890s when Perth suddenly went from having just 15 professional architects in 1895 to having 102 in 1896. This group of, often Melbourne-trained, architects shaped the next thirty years of public, private and commercial buildings.
Many of the commercial and office buildings constructed in the early 1900s reflect the wealth created in Western Australia by the gold rush and the widespread desire to establish permanent, substantial edifices. The monumental buildings of this period communicate the power of the British Empire and Western Australia's sense of place within Empire, as well as a growing self-belief in Australia's westernmost State.
Western Australian public and commercial buildings constructed in Edwardian classicism sought to impose a sense of orderliness and authority. The General Post Office building in Forrest Place (begun in 1914 and completed in 1923) represented this style with classical pillars used to communicate a sense of solidity and permanency.
Please note: The content on this website is made available for archival purposes and may not meet the State Library of Western Australia's current standards for web accessibility, mobile device compatibility, historical accuracy and cultural sensitivity.